So it Didn't Work Out...

What Next?

Expert Family Lawyers Central Coast are an experienced, friendly, and down-to-earth Family Law team, servicing the legal needs of the Gosford, Erina, Central Coast community since 1981. 

A marriage or de facto relationship breakdown can be one of the most stressful times in your life.  It is important to have support and guidance from an expert Gosford Erina Central Coast Family Lawyer who can assist you through the family law process.

At Expert Family Lawyers Central Coast our trusted experienced team will negotiate on your behalf  to attempt to reach an agreement without the need for expensive Court proceedings. Our expert team settles the majority of matters without setting foot in a courtroom. 

We will always be completely open and frank with you, and will ensure that you are kept fully informed about the progress of your matter. 


Time Limits For Property Settlements in Family Law Matters

There are strict time limits (also known as “limitation dates”) that exist in relation to Family Law property matters.  Married couples have twelve months from the date of divorce to commence proceedings related to property matters in the Court.

De facto couples must commence proceedings related to property within 2 years of the date of separation. If the above time limits are exceeded, parties must seek special permission of the Court to commence proceedings. Call now and speak with our friendly, down-to-earth, Expert Family Lawyers Central Coast who will be able to assist you with all your concerns.  

Divorce Lawyers
Property Matters in Central Coast

The most cost and time effective means of resolving your family law property matter is to reach an agreement with your ex-partner with the help of property settlement lawyers in Central Coast. 

This agreement can be finalised by the filing of an Application for Consent Orders. Consent Orders document your agreement and are legally binding and enforceable by a Court.  Filing Consent Orders also ensures that your ex-partner is unable to make any further claim upon your assets in the future.  

The Application for Consent Orders  outlines the assets and liabilities of the relationship, including superannuation. 

The purpose of the Application for Consent Orders is to provide the Court with information to allow them to determine if the agreement is “just and equitable”. 

If you would like to have more information on how a court will look at the division of your property click here

Parenting Matters: (formerly referred to as Custody & Contact)

Couples are often most concerned about how their separation will impact upon their children. The most cost effective and least stressful means of resolving parenting matters is by agreement. In parenting matters, the overarching purpose of the Family Law Act is to promote the best interests of children. The Act aims to ensure that children can enjoy a meaningful relationship with both parents and are protected from harm.  

If you and your ex-partner cannot agree about parenting your children, you will be required to attend Family Dispute Resolution.

The most well-known form of dispute resolution is mediation.  Mediation is a structured negotiation process in which an independent person, known as a mediator, assists the parties to identify and assess options and negotiate an agreement to resolve their dispute. 

Upon the conclusion of Family Dispute Resolution, a  certificate will be issued as evidence of the parents attendance at dispute resolution, whether they made a genuine effort to resolve their dispute, and the outcome of the dispute resolution. 

Parenting matters can be resolved by way of a Parenting Plan or Consent Orders. 

A parenting plan is a voluntary agreement that covers the day to day responsibilities of each parent, the practical considerations of the daily life of children, and how parents will agree and consult each other in relation to long term issues involving the children.

A parenting plan is neither binding nor enforceable by a Court. This means it is flexible and can be changed at any time as long as both parents agree. 

Alternatively, Consent Orders are orders made by a Court about parenting arrangements for a child. Consent Orders must be followed by the parents and are legally binding and enforceable by a Court.  

Note that parents can only commence proceedings in the Federal Circuit & Family Court of Australia after they have the certificate described above.

Urgent parenting matters or cases involving family violence are exempt from the requirement to undergo Family Dispute Resolution.  To learn about parenting arrangements, visit

Divorce Family Lawyers Central Coast

You are entitled to make an Application for Divorce twelve months after the date of separation. If you continue to live with your ex-partner, you will need to provide additional evidence to the Federal Circuit & Family Court of Australia to prove your separation. For more information on how to file for Divorce, visit

If you would like to know where you stand in relation to your property matters or parenting matters (formerly referred to as custody),
call Amelia Cox now for a free confidential chat on the phone.

Amelia Cox
Family Lawyer and Family Team Leader
Sue Barnett
Family Law Paralegal


On 20th November 2023, our office will relocate to Suites 5 & 6, Fountain Plaza, 148-158 Central Coast Highway, Erina.

Our telephone number, email address & website willl remain unchanged.

Fill Details for Join Events